safety netsafety net
- a net suspended as beneath circus aerialists to catch them if they fall
- any protection against failure or loss
- A large net for catching one that falls or jumps, as from a circus trapeze.
- A guarantee, as of professional, physical, or financial security: the safety net of a generous pension plan.
(plural safety nets)
- A large net placed horizontally beneath performing aerialists such as trapeze artists or tightrope walkers, intended to catch a performer who falls and to protect him or her from harm.
- (figuratively, by extension) Anything, such as a governmental program, that provides security against extreme disadvantage or misfortune.