- of or relating to a sacrament
- being or resembling a sacrament
Origin of sacramentalMiddle English sacramentale ; from Late Latin sacramentalis
R.C.Ch. something, as the use of holy water, instituted or approved by the Church as a pious means of petitioning divine help and favor
- Of, relating to, or used in a sacrament.
- Consecrated or bound by or as if by a sacrament: a sacramental duty.
- Having the force or efficacy of a sacrament.
A rite, act, or sacred object used by some Christian churches in worship.
(comparative more sacramental, superlative most sacramental)
- Used in, or relating to, a sacrament.
- The altar boys were sacked after they were caught sampling the sacramental wine instead of just passing it to the priest before communion.
From Ecclesiastical Latin sacrÄmentÄlis.