- The definition of ruffly is something with gathers of fabric.
An example of something ruffly is a girl’s dress with frills at the sleeves and the bottom edge.
Variant of ruffle
transitive verbruffled, ruffling
- to take away the smoothness of; wrinkle; ripple: wind ruffling the water
- to gather into ruffles
- to put ruffles on as trimming
- to make (feathers, etc.) stand up in or as in a ruff, as a bird when frightened
- to disturb, irritate, or annoy
- to turn over (the pages of a book, etc.) rapidly
Origin of ruffleMiddle English ruffelen ; from Old Norse or Middle Low German as in Low German Old Norse hrufla, to scratch
- to become uneven, wrinkled, etc.
- to become disturbed, irritated, etc.
- a strip of cloth, lace, etc., gathered in pleats and puckers and used for trimming
- something like this, as a bird's ruff
- a disturbance; irritation
- a break in surface smoothness; ripple
Informal to disturb, irritate, or annoy (someone)