- a person who breaks horses so that they can be ridden
- a person who does much hard, rough riding
- ⌂ a member of a volunteer cavalry regiment organized by Theodore Roosevelt and Leonard Wood for service in the Spanish American War (1898)also written Rough Rider
- A skilled rider of little-trained horses, especially one who breaks horses for riding.
- Rough Rider A member of the First US Volunteer Cavalry regiment under Theodore Roosevelt in the Spanish-American War.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.