Variant of rotten
- in a decayed or decomposed state; spoiled, putrefied, tainted, etc.
- having a bad odor because of decomposition or decay; putrid; foul-smelling
- morally corrupt or offensive; dishonest, open to bribery, etc.
- unsound or weak, as if decayed within
- soft or easily broken as because of decomposition; friable: said of rocks, ice, etc.
- Slang very bad, unsatisfactory, nasty, etc.
Origin: Middle English roten ; from Old Norse rotinn ; from Indo-European an unverified form reud- ; from base an unverified form reu-, to tear, rip open (from source rude): probably used origin, originally of flax left to soak and rot