Variant of rotten
- in a decayed or decomposed state; spoiled, putrefied, tainted, etc.
- having a bad odor because of decomposition or decay; putrid; foul-smelling
- morally corrupt or offensive; dishonest, open to bribery, etc.
- unsound or weak, as if decayed within
- soft or easily broken as because of decomposition; friable: said of rocks, ice, etc.
- Slang very bad, unsatisfactory, nasty, etc.
Origin: ME roten < ON rotinn < IE *reud- < base *reu-, to tear, rip open (> rude): prob. used orig. of flax left to soak and rot
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.