- resisting pressure; resistant
- opposing stubbornly; recalcitrant
Origin of renitent; from French or L: French rénitent ; from Classical Latin renitens, present participle of reniti, to resist ; from re-, back + niti, to struggle
- Resistant to physical pressure; not pliant.
- Reluctant to yield or be swayed; recalcitrant.
Origin of renitentLatin ren&imacron;t&emacron;ns, ren&imacron;tent-, present participle of ren&imacron;t&imacron;, to resist : re-, re- + n&imacron;t&imacron;, to press forward.
- ren′i·tence, ren′i·ten·cy
(comparative more renitent, superlative most renitent)