This television remote control is sometimes called a zapper.
remote control definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- control of aircraft, missiles, etc. from a distance, as by radio waves
- a hand-held device used to control the operation of a television set, videocassette recorder, etc. from a distance
remote control definition by American Heritage Dictionary
nounThe American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The control of an activity, process, or machine from a distance, as by radioed instructions or coded signals.
- A device used to control an apparatus or machine from a distance.
- re·moteˈ-con·trolˈ , re·moteˈ-con·trolledˈ adjective