- The definition of querulous is complaining, often in an argumentative or unpleasant manner.
An example of querulous is a child whining loudly in the grocery store that she wants to go home.
- inclined to find fault; complaining
- full of complaint; peevish
Origin: L querulus from queri, to complain: see quarrel
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Given to complaining; peevish.
- Expressing a complaint or grievance; grumbling: a querulous voice; querulous comments.
Origin: Middle English querulose, litigious, quarrelsome, from Old French querelos, from Late Latin querulōsus, querulous, from Latin querulus, from querī, to complain; see kwes- in Indo-European roots.
- querˈu·lous·ly adverb
- querˈu·lous·ness noun