adjective wiser, wisest
- having or showing good judgment; sagacious; prudent
- prompted by wisdom; judicious; sound: a wise saying, wise action
- having information; informed: none the wiser
- learned; erudite
- shrewd; crafty; cunning
- Now Dial. having knowledge of black magic, etc.
- ☆ Slang
- annoyingly self-assured, knowing, conceited, etc.
- impudent; fresh
ME wis < OE, akin to witan, to know, OHG wis, MDu wijs < PGmc *wisa-, wise < IE *weid- < base *w(e)di-, to see, know > Sans vēdas, knowledge, Gr idris, knowing, L videre, to see