- To return something to its original place.
- He carefully put the vase back on the shelf.
- To postpone an arranged event or appointment.
- The meeting has been put back to 5.00 pm.
- (idiomatic) To drink fast; to knock down alcohol.
- You'll need to put that drink back quickly; it's very nearly closing time.
- (idiomatic) To change the time in a time zone to an earlier time.
- Don't forget that this Sunday we put the clocks back an hour.
- The object in all senses can come before or after the particle. If it is a pronoun, then it MUST come before the particle.