- an upright structure of wood, stone, brick, etc., serving to enclose, divide, support, or protect; specif.,
- such a structure forming a side or inner partition of a building
- such a continuous structure serving to enclose an area, to separate fields, etc.
- such a structure used as a military defense; fortification
- such a structure used to hold back water; levee; dike
- something resembling a wall in appearance or function, as the side or inside surface of a container or body cavity
- something suggestive of a wall in that it holds back, divides, hides, etc.: a wall of secrecy
ME wal < OE weall (akin to Ger wall) < L vallum, rampart < vallus, a stake, palisade < IE base *wel-, to turn > walk