- a low, vibratory sound made by a cat when it seems to be pleased
- any sound like this, as of a quietly running engine
Origin of purrechoic
- to make, or express with, a purr
- to speak in a low voice suggestive of contentment, sexual desire, etc.
- The soft vibrant sound made by a cat.
- A sound similar to that made by a cat: the purr of an engine.
verbpurred, purr·ing, purrs
To make or utter a soft vibrant sound: The cat purred. The sewing machine purred.
To express by a soft vibrant sound.
Origin of purrImitative
(third-person singular simple present purrs, present participle purring, simple past and past participle purred)