punch a clock
Variant of punch
- a tool driven or pressed against a surface that is to be stamped, pierced, etc.
- a tool driven against a nail, bolt, etc. that is to be worked in, or against a pin that is to be worked out
- a device or machine for making holes, cuts, etc.: a paper punch
- the hole, cut, etc. made with a punch
Origin: prob. < var. of ponchon: see puncheon
- to pierce, shape, stamp, cut, etc. with a punch
- to make (a hole, cut, etc.) with or as with a punch
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.