public servicepublic service
- employment by the government, esp. through civil service
- some service performed for the public with no direct charge, as by a private corporation
- Employment within a governmental system, especially within the civil service.
- A service performed for the benefit of the public, especially by a nonprofit organization.
- The business of supplying an essential commodity, such as water or electricity, or a service, such as communications or transportation, to the public.
(plural public services)