Variant of prove
- to test by experiment, a standard, etc.; subject to a testing process; try out
- to establish as true; demonstrate to be a fact
- to establish the validity or authenticity of (esp. a will)
- to show (oneself) to be capable, dependable, etc.
- Archaic to experience; learn or know by experience
- Math. to test or verify the correctness of (a calculation, etc.)
- Printing to take a proof of (type, etc.)
Origin: ME proven < OFr prover < L probare: see probe
- to be found or shown by experience or trial; turn out to be: a guess that proved right
- Archaic to make trial
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.