The definition of protean is a person or thing that is complex, varied or changes easily.
An example of protean is a chameleon changing its skin color to be camouflaged.
- of or like Proteus
- very changeable; readily taking on different shapes and forms
- showing different abilities or great variety; versatile
any of a group of insoluble derived proteins that are the first products of the action of water, dilute acids, or enzymes on proteins
Origin of proteanprote(in) + -an
- Readily taking on varied shapes, forms, or meanings.
- Exhibiting considerable variety or diversity: “He loved to show off his protean talent” (William A. Henry III).
Origin of proteanFrom Proteus.
- Of or relating to Proteus