- An example of prehistory is when dinosaurs lived on earth.
- An example of prehistory is a person getting drunk at a bar and running a red light, which led to a car accident.
Prehistory are events or things that happened before there was a record of events, or what happened leading up to an event.
- history before recorded history, as learned from archaeology, etc.
- the background of incidents, etc. leading to an event, crisis, etc.
- History of humankind in the period before recorded history.
- The circumstances or developments leading up to or surrounding an event or situation; background: “[He] then told me the curious prehistory of his obsessive interest in the seduction theory” (Janet Malcolm).
(countable and uncountable, plural prehistories)
pre- +"Ž history.