- a pothunter's shot
- an easy shot, as at close range
- a random shot
- a haphazard try
- a random criticism or attack
also pot shot
- A random or easy shot.
- A criticism made without careful thought and aimed at a handy target for attack: reporters taking potshots at the mayor.
Origin of potshotSo called because such a shot is fired by a hunter whose main purpose is to get food for the pot.
- A shot taken at an easy or random target.
- Criticism of an easy target; a cheap shot.
(third-person singular simple present potshots, present participle potshotting, simple past and past participle potshotted)
- To fire potshots.