- Biol. having or involving several different types, forms, or variations
- Taxonomy of or pertaining to a category having two or more immediate subdivisions
Origin of polytypicpoly- + -typ(e) + -ic
Having several variant forms, especially subspecies or varieties.
Origin of polytypicpoly– + typ(e) + –ic.
(comparative more polytypic, superlative most polytypic)
- (taxonomy) having several different taxa of the next lower rank, especially having several subspecies
- (conservation biology) of a habitat, not dominated by a single species
- (material science) of a substance, able to exist in more than one crystal structure, these differing in one dimension
- (microbiology) of a cell sample, containing several cell types
- (immunology) of an antibody response, involving several antibodies
- exhibiting polytypism