- derivation from more than one kind of germ cell
- the theory that different species are descended from different ultimate ancestors
Origin of polygenesisModL: see poly- and genesis
Development from more than one source.
- pol′y·ge·net′ic po·lyg′e·nous
- The genesis of a species from more than one ancestor.
- (biology) The theory that living organisms originate in cells or embryos of different kinds, instead of coming from a single cell; as opposed to monogenesis.
- (linguistics) The theory that languages developed independently in different places at different periods, as opposed to originating from a single source.
poly- +"Ž -genesis