polka dotpol·ka dot
- one of the small round dots regularly spaced to form a pattern on cloth
- a pattern or cloth with such dots
Origin of polka dot; from polka: from the popularity of the dance in the late 19th circa , term applied to various garments, materials, and the like
- One of a number of dots or round spots forming a pattern, as on cloth.
- A pattern or fabric with such dots.
(plural polka dots)
1871, US, named for polka dance, which was popular at the time (1840-1890). Numerous other products were named for the dance, but have not endured.
- Alternative spelling of polka dot.