Variant of poison
- a substance causing illness or death when eaten, drunk, or absorbed even in relatively small quantities
- anything harmful or destructive to happiness or welfare, such as an idea, emotion, etc.
- in a nuclear reactor, a substance, as boron, that readily absorbs thermal neutrons from a chain reaction, thereby decreasing the reactivity of a reactor core: it is used for safety or control
- Chem. a substance that inhibits or destroys the activity of a catalyst, enzyme, etc. or that interferes with or checks a reaction
Origin: OFr < L potio, potion
- to give poison to; harm or destroy by means of poison
- to put poison on or into
- to influence wrongfully; corrupt: to poison someone's mind
- poisoner noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.