- The definition of a plutocracy is a political system where the wealthy govern.
When the richest people have all of the power in a society and make all of the political decisions, this is an example of a plutocracy.
plutocracy definition by Webster's New World
- government by the wealthy
- a group of wealthy people who control or influence a government
Origin: Classical Greek ploutokratia ; from ploutos, wealth, akin to plein, to float, swim (; from Indo-European base an unverified form pel- from source full) plush kratein, to rule
plutocracy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. plu·toc·ra·cies
- Government by the wealthy.
- A wealthy class that controls a government.
- A government or state in which the wealthy rule.
Origin: Greek ploutokratiā : ploutos, wealth; see pleu- in Indo-European roots + -kratiā, -cracy.
- pluˈto·cratˌ noun
- pluˌto·cratˈic, pluˌto·cratˈi·cal adjective
- pluˌto·cratˈi·cal·ly adverb
plutocracy - Cultural Definition
Government by the rich. The term is usually one of reproach.