- The definition of a plutocracy is a political system where the wealthy govern.
When the richest people have all of the power in a society and make all of the political decisions, this is an example of a plutocracy.
- government by the wealthy
- a group of wealthy people who control or influence a government
Origin of plutocracyClassical Greek ploutokratia ; from ploutos, wealth, akin to plein, to float, swim (; from Indo-European base an unverified form pel- from source full) + kratein, to rule
- Government by the wealthy.
- A wealthy class that controls a government.
- A government or state in which the wealthy rule.
Origin of plutocracyGreek ploutokratiā : ploutos, wealth; see pleu- in Indo-European roots + -kratiā, -cracy.
- plu′to·crat′ic, plu′to·crat′i·cal
From Ancient Greek πλουτοκρατία (ploutokratia, “rule of the wealthy”), from πλουτοκρατέω (ploutokrateō, “I rule through wealth”), from πλοῦτος (ploutos, “wealth”) + κρατέω (krateō, “I rule”) (from κράτος (kratos, “power”, “might”)).