When the richest people have all of the power in a society and make all of the political decisions, this is an example of a plutocracy.
- government by the wealthy
- a group of wealthy people who control or influence a government
Origin of plutocracyClassical Greek ploutokratia ; from ploutos, wealth, akin to plein, to float, swim (; from Indo-European base an unverified form pel- from source full) + kratein, to rule
- Government by the wealthy.
- A wealthy class that controls a government.
- A government or state in which the wealthy rule.
Origin of plutocracyGreek ploutokratiā : ploutos, wealth; see pleu- in Indo-European roots + -kratiā, -cracy.
- plu′to·crat′ic, plu′to·crat′i·cal
From Ancient Greek Ï€Î»Î¿Ï…Ï„Î¿ÎºÏÎ±Ï„Î¯Î± (ploutokratia, “rule of the wealthy"), from Ï€Î»Î¿Ï…Ï„Î¿ÎºÏÎ±Ï„ÎÏ‰ (ploutokrateÅ, “I rule through wealth"), from Ï€Î»Î¿á¿¦Ï„Î¿Ï‚ (ploutos, “wealth") + ÎºÏÎ±Ï„ÎÏ‰ (krateÅ, “I rule") (from ÎºÏÎ¬Ï„Î¿Ï‚ (kratos, “power", “might")).