- The definition of playback is the reproduction of an already recorded sound or image.
An example of a playback is the replay of a recorded song to hear the beginning of the chorus.
playback definition by Webster's New World
- reproduction of sounds, images, etc. from a recorded disc, tape, etc.
- the control or device for such reproduction on a player, recorder, etc.
playback definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or process of replaying a newly made audio or video recording, as to monitor quality.
- A method of or an apparatus for reproducing sound recordings: “switches on the playback of a telephone-answering machine” (Vanity Fair).
playback - Computer Definition
Causing an audio source to be amplified through speakers or a video source to be rendered on screen. See media player.