pierced definition by Webster's New World
- having a small hole made by piercing; specif., having such a hole in its lobe: pierced ears
- for wearing in a pierced ear: pierced earrings
pierced definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Cut through with a sharp instrument; perforated.
- Of or relating to a body part that has been perforated for the purpose of attaching a piece of jewelry.
- Of or relating to a piece of jewelry designed to be worn in a such a body part: a pierced earring.
Variant of pierce
- to pass into or through as a pointed instrument does; penetrate; stab
- to affect sharply the senses or feelings of
- to make a hole in or through; perforate; bore
- to make (a hole), as by boring or stabbing
- to force a way into or through; break through
- to sound sharply through: a shriek pierced the air
- to penetrate with the sight or mind: to pierce a mystery
Origin: Middle English percen ; from Old French percer ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form pertusiare ; from Classical Latin pertusus, past participle of pertundere, to thrust through ; from per, through plush tundere, to strike ; from Indo-European base an unverified form (s)teu-, to push from source stock