Phyte is defined as a plant that grows in a certain place or way.
An example of phyte is epiphyte which is a plant that grows on the surface of another plant.
- a plant growing in a (specified) way or place: microphyte, sporophyte, epiphyte
- Med. a (specified kind of) growth: osteophyte
Origin of -phyte; from Classical Greek phyton, a plant, akin to phyein, to grow: see be
- A plant with a specified character or habitat: halophyte.
- A plantlike organism: saprophyte.
- A pathological growth: osteophyte.
Origin of -phyteFrom Greek phuton, plant, from phuein, to make grow; see bheu&schwa;- in Indo-European roots.