- The phonetic alphabet is a set of symbols or codes used to show what a speech sound or letter sounds like.
An example of the phonetic alphabet is the world "special" shown as spe∫∂l.
- A standardized set of symbols used in phonetic transcription.
- Any of various systems of code words for identifying letters in voice communication.
(plural phonetic alphabets)
- A writing system used for transcribing the sounds of human speech into writing.
- A list of standard words used to identify letters.
phonetic alphabet - Computer Definition
The military and the aviation industry use a phonetic English alphabet that has many other uses, such as in the identification of time zones. The full alphabet is listed in Table P-2. See also Zulu Time. Table P-2: Military and Aviation Phonetic Alphabet A: Alpha B: Bravo C: Charlie D: Delta E: Echo F: Foxtrot G: Golf H: Hotel I: India J: Juliet K: Kilo L: Lima M: Mike N: November O: Oscar P: Papa Q: Quebec R: Romeo S: Sierra T: Tango U: Uniform V: Victor W: Whiskey X: X-Ray Y: Yankee Z: Zulu