Variant of phalanx
- an ancient military formation of infantry in close, deep ranks with shields overlapping and spears extended
- a massed group of individuals; compact body
- a group of individuals united for a common purpose
- the people forming a phalanstery
- Anat. any of the bones forming the fingers or toes
Origin: L from Gr, line of battle, bone between fingers, origin, originally , log from Indo-European base an unverified form bhel-, log from source balk
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.