Peterborough[pēt′ər bʉr′ō, -ə]
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- city in Cambridgeshire, EC England: county district pop. 153,000
- city in SE Ontario, Canada, near Toronto: pop. 70,000
- former county of EC England, now part of Cambridgeshire
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A city of southeast Ontario, Canada, northeast of Toronto. Settled in the 1820s as a lumbering town, it is now an industrial center and railroad junction. Population: 74,900.
- A municipal borough of east-central England east of Leicester. Catherine of Aragon is buried in the cathedral here. Population: 136,000.