group of islands in Taiwan Strait; a dependency of Taiwan: 49 sq mi (127 sq km)
In Pinyin Peng·hu
An island group in Taiwan Strait between the western coast of Taiwan and mainland China. The name, meaning “fishermen's islands,” was given to the group by the Portuguese in the 1500s. Ceded to Japan in 1895 and returned to China after World War II, the islands have been administered by Taiwan since 1949.