penalty boxpenalty box
- Ice Hockey a small, enclosed area just outside the wall surrounding the rink, where a player removed from the game must wait as a penalty
- Soccer the large rectangular area directly in front of each goal where a foul committed by a defensive player may result in a penalty kickalso penalty area
An area to the side of an ice-hockey rink or a playing field in which penalized players wait out the time of their penalties.
(plural penalty boxes)
- (ice hockey) An enclosed bench where a player must remain for timed period (a penalty) that is assessed after an infraction.
- Both players got to cool their heels for five minutes in their respective penalty boxes after the fight.
- (soccer) The penalty area.
- (idiomatic, figuratively) A temporary punishment, or, metaphorically, a similar setback (e.g., loss of control, embarrassment, etc.).