- a small stone worn smooth and round, as by the action of water
- Geol. such a stone, smaller than a cobblestone, with a maximum diameter of 64 mm (c. 2.5 in)
- clear, transparent quartz or a lens made from it
- a surface grain of pebbly appearance, artificially produced on leather (), paper, etc.
ME pobble < OE papol-(stan), popol-(stan), pebble (stone), prob. of echoic orig.
transitive verb pebbled, pebbling
- to cover with pebbles or objects that look like pebbles
- to stamp (leather) so as to produce a pebbly appearance