For the higher education of teachers Tennessee has the Peabody College for Teachers, at Nashville, founded (1875) and maintained chiefly with proceeds from the George Peabody Fund for the improvement of education in the South.
The University of Nashville is a non-sectarian institution embracing a college department, a medical department, a preparatory department, and the George Peabody College for Teachers; it was incorporated under the laws of North Carolina as Davidson Academy in 1785 and under the laws of Tennessee as Cumberland College in 1806, and the present name was adopted in 1826.
The George Peabody College for Teachers, an important part of the institution, was opened as a normal school in 1875; in1907-1908it had an enrolment (including the summer session) of 647 students.
In 1909 it received $1,000,000 from the Peabody Fund, later supplemented by $250,000 from the state, $200,000 from the city and $100,000 from Davidson county.
He was president of the Massachusetts Historical Society from 1855 to 1885, and for the last twenty-seven years of his life was president of the Peabody Trust for the advancement of education in the Southern States.