Variant of compare
- to regard as similar; liken (to): to compare life to a river
- to examine in order to observe or discover similarities or differences: often followed by with: compare their voting records
- Gram. to form the comparative and superlative degrees of (an adjective or adverb)
Origin: ME comparen < OFr comparer < L comparare < com-, with + parare, to make equal < par: see par
- to be worthy of comparison (with)
- to be regarded as similar or equal
- to make comparisons
- to stand in comparison; measure up: how does my car compare with his?
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.