- Present participle of parry.
- The act of one who parries.
Variant of parry
transitive verbparried, parrying
- to ward off or deflect (a blow, the thrust of a sword, etc.)
- to counter or ward off (criticism, a prying question, etc.) by a clever or evasive response
Origin of parryprobably ; from French parez, imperative of parer ; from Italian parare, to ward off ; from Classical Latin parare, to prepare
to make a parry or evasion
- a warding off or a turning aside of a blow, thrust, etc., as in fencing
- an evasion; evasive reply