- Parenteral is defined as something that is put inside the body, but not by swallowing.
An example of something parenteral is an injection given into the muscle on the leg, or a subcutaneous injection.
- The definition of a parenteral is medicine or liquid that is injected under the skin.
An example of a parenteral is the arthritis medication, Enbrel.
- inside the body but outside the intestine
- brought into the body through some way other than the digestive tract, as by subcutaneous or intravenous injection
Origin of parenteralpar(a)- + enter(o)- + -al
a substance for parenteral injection
- Physiology Located outside the digestive tract.
- Medicine Taken into the body or administered in a manner other than through the digestive tract, as by intravenous or intramuscular injection.