Variant of panorama
- a picture or series of pictures of a landscape, historical event, etc., presented on a continuous surface encircling the spectator; cyclorama
- a picture unrolled before the spectator in such a way as to give the impression of a continuous view
- an unlimited view in all directions
- a comprehensive survey of a subject
- a continuous series of scenes or events; constantly changing scene
Origin: coined (c. 1789) by Robert Barker (1739-1806), Scottish artist from pan- plush Glassical Greek horama, a view from horan, to see from Indo-European base an unverified form wer-, to heed from source ward, guard
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.