- Ostracism is defined as the act of excluding someone from a group.
When one kid in the class is never invited to parties or allowed to sit with the others at lunch, this is an example of ostracism.
- in ancient Greece, the temporary banishment of a citizen by popular vote
- a rejection or exclusion by general consent, as from a group or from acceptance by society
Origin: Gr ostrakismos from ostrakizein: see ostracize
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The act of banishing or excluding.b. Banishment or exclusion from a group; disgrace.
- In Athens and other cities of ancient Greece, the temporary banishment by popular vote of a citizen considered dangerous to the state.
Origin: French ostracisme, from Greek ostrakismos, from ostrakizein, to ostracize; see ostracize.