- Ostracism is defined as the act of excluding someone from a group.
When one kid in the class is never invited to parties or allowed to sit with the others at lunch, this is an example of ostracism.
ostracism definition by Webster's New World
- in ancient Greece, the temporary banishment of a citizen by popular vote
- a rejection or exclusion by general consent, as from a group or from acceptance by society
Origin: Classical Greek ostrakismos ; from ostrakizein: see ostracize
ostracism definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act of banishing or excluding.b. Banishment or exclusion from a group; disgrace.
- In Athens and other cities of ancient Greece, the temporary banishment by popular vote of a citizen considered dangerous to the state.
Origin: French ostracisme, from Greek ostrakismos, from ostrakizein, to ostracize; see ostracize.