- designating or of a design for bridges in which the structural supporting units also form the deck, or road surface, thus reducing weight and cost of construction
- Bot. designating, of, or showing vertical growth, as most main stems and roots
ortho- + -tropic
See orthotropic in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- Tending to grow or form along a vertical axis.
- Of or relating to a bridge deck consisting of steel plates supported by ribs underneath.
- orˌtho·tropˈi·cal·ly adverb
- or·thotˈro·pism (ôr-thŏtˈrə-pĭzˌəm) noun
Learn more about orthotropic