- Of, relating to, or characteristic of the orchid family.
- Suggesting an orchid flower in extravagance, exoticism, or luxuriant beauty: “one of those brilliant orchidaceous days on the North Shore of Oahu” (Paul Theroux).
Origin of orchidaceousFrom New Latin Orchidaceae, family name, from Latin orchis, orchid; see orchid.
(comparative more orchidaceous, superlative most orchidaceous)
- (botany) Of or pertaining to orchids.
- In keeping with the orchidaceous theme of the wedding, the decorator draped the walls with lavenders and pinks.
- Characterized by ostentatiousness; showy.
- The fashion press regarded her red carpet attire with derision, calling it orchidaceous and overly designed.