The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
A city of northern Poland southeast of Gdańsk. Founded by the Teutonic Knights in 1348, it was ceded to Poland in 1466 and to Prussia in 1772. It reverted to Poland in 1945. Population: 175,000.