A physician who specializes in obstetrics.
- Multivitamins: Once you're pregnant, your obstetrician will probably prescribe a prenatal vitamin for you to take, but even before conception you can take a daily multivitamin to ensure you're taking in enough needed vitamins and minerals.
- Parents should be encouraged to educate themselves on the benefits and risks associated with the various antenatal screening procedures and work with their obstetrician to formulate an individualized prenatal care plan.
- Women at risk for asphyxia neonatorum pregnancies should receive focused prenatal care from an obstetrician skilled at preventing and detecting problems such as anemia that may contribute to asphyxia neonatorum.
- During the sampling procedure, the obstetrician inserts a very fine needle through the woman's abdomen into the uterus and amniotic sac and withdraws approximately one ounce of amniotic fluid for testing.
- If the abnormality is discovered before the birth, the obstetrician can help the parents decide what steps should be taken, and parents can begin to plan to meet the special needs their child will have.