nux vomicanux vom·i·ca
- the poisonous, disklike seed of an Asian tree (Strychnos nux-vomica) of the logania family, containing strychnine, brucine, and other alkaloids
- the tree bearing these seeds
- a medicine made from the seed, formerly used as a heart stimulant
Origin of nux vomicaMedieval Latin ; from Classical Latin nux, nut + vomere, to vomit
- A tree (Strychnos nux-vomica) native to South and Southeast Asia, having poisonous seeds that are a source of the alkaloids strychnine and brucine.
- The seeds of this tree or a preparation or extract made from them.
Origin of nux vomicaMedieval Latin : Latin nux, nut + Medieval Latin vomica, feminine of vomicus, emetic (from Latin vomere, to vomit; see wem&schwa;- in Indo-European roots).
(plural nuces vomicae)