Variant of Norman
- any of the Scandinavians who occupied Normandy in the 10th cent.
- a descendant of the Normans and French who conquered England in 1066
- Norman French
- a person born or living in Normandy
Origin: OFr Normant or ML Normannus, both < Frank *nortman < *nort, akin to OE north, north + *man, akin to man
- of Normandy or its people, language, or culture
- designating or of the Romanesque style of architecture as it flourished in Normandy and, after the Norman Conquest, as developed in England: characterized by massive construction, round arches over recessed doors and windows, and carving
- Normanesque adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.