Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- a watching or guarding during the night
- the person or persons doing such guarding
- the time of their guarding
- any of the periods into which the night was formerly divided for such guarding: usually used in pl.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
nounThe American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A watch or guard kept during the night.
- The person or persons on such a watch.