Variant of niche
- a recess or hollow in a wall, as for a statue, bust, or vase
- a place or position particularly suitable to the person or thing in it
- any small, specialized business market
- the particular role of an individual species or organism in its community and its environment, including its position in the food cycle and its behavior
- the specific space occupied by an organism within its habitat
Origin: Fr from Old French nichier, to nest from Vulgar Latin an unverified form nidicare from Classical Latin nidus, nest
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.