Variant of net
- a fabric made from string, cord, etc., loosely knotted or woven in an openwork pattern and used to trap or snare birds, fish, etc.
- anything that catches or entraps; trap; snare
- any of various devices made of meshed fabric, used to hold, protect, or mark off something: a hairnet, tennis net
- a fine, meshed, lacelike cloth, used to make curtains, trim garments, etc.
- network ( & )
- Volleyball, Tennis, etc. a ball or shuttlecock that hits the net, whether or not it goes overin full net ball
- Comput., Informal Internet: with the
Origin: Middle English from Old English nett, akin to German netz, Gothic nati from Indo-European base an unverified form ned-, to twist together from source Classical Latin nodus, a knot
- to make into net or a net
- to make with net
- to trap or snare with or as with a net
- to protect, shelter, or enclose with or as with a net
- Volleyball, Tennis, etc. to hit (the ball or shuttlecock) into the net
- netlike adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.