- a fabric made from string, cord, etc., loosely knotted or woven in an openwork pattern and used to trap or snare birds, fish, etc.
- anything that catches or entraps; trap; snare
- any of various devices made of meshed fabric, used to hold, protect, or mark off something: a hairnet, tennis net
- a fine, meshed, lacelike cloth, used to make curtains, trim garments, etc.
- network ( & )
- Volleyball, Tennis, etc. a ball or shuttlecock that hits the net, whether or not it goes over
- Comput., Informal Internet: with the
ME < OE nett, akin to Ger netz, Goth nati < IE base *ned-, to twist together > L nodus, a knot
transitive verb netted, netting
- to make into net or a net
- to make with net
- to trap or snare with or as with a net
- to protect, shelter, or enclose with or as with a net
- Volleyball, Tennis, etc. to hit (the ball or shuttlecock) into the net