- a small, slender piece of steel with a sharp point at one end and a hole for thread at the other, used for sewing by hand or for surgical sutures
- a similar implement with a hole for thread near the pointed end, used esp. on sewing machines
- a slender rod of steel, bone, wood, etc. with a hook at one end, used for crocheting
- a similar rod, usually larger and without a hook, used in knitting
- stylus ()
- a pointed instrument used in etching or engraving
- the magnetized pointer of a compass
- the indicator or pointer of a speedometer or other gauge
- the thin, short, pointed leaf of such trees as the pine, spruce, etc.
- needle valve
- the sharp, very slender metal tube at the end of a hypodermic syringe, that is introduced into the blood vessel, muscle, etc.
- ☆ Informal a hypodermic injection
- any of various other slender, tubelike devices for inserting, as to inflate or inject
- electric needle
- any object roughly resembling a needle or its point in shape, as the sharp point of some crystals, a narrow, pointed rock, an obelisk, spire, etc.
ME nedle < OE nædl, akin to Ger nadel < IE base *(s)nē-, *(s)nēi-, to sew, spin > snood, L nere, Gr nein, to spin
transitive verb needled, needling
- to sew, puncture, etc. with a needle
- to provoke into doing something; goad; prod
- to tease or heckle
- ☆ Slang to strengthen by adding alcohol: to needle beer