- a bank or system of banks owned and operated by a government, as in some foreign countries
- in the U.S., a bank chartered and regulated by the Department of the Treasury and, since 1913, required to be a member of the Federal Reserve System
- A bank in a system of federally chartered commercial banks in the United States, supervised by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, a department of the US Treasury.
- A bank controlled by or associated with a national government, especially a central bank.
national bank - Investment & Finance Definition
A commercial bank that receives its charter, or permission to operate, from the Comptroller of the Currency instead of a state banking department. National banks must be members of the Federal Reserve System and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. (FDIC). They also must own stock in their regional federal reserve bank.
Words near national bank in the dictionary
- National Association of Securities Dealers
- National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotation system
- National Association of Security Dealers Automated Quotation system
- National Association of Systems Integrators
- national bank
- National Bureau of Standards
- National Center for Supercomputer Applications
- National Center for Supercomputing Applications