The definition of a mustache is hair on the upper lip.
When a man does not shave his upper lip, the hair growth on his lip is an example of a mustache.
- the hair that a man has let grow out on his upper lip: sometimes used in the plural in reference to the two halves of this growth, esp. when long
- hair growing on the upper lip: at fourteen he's already getting a mustache
- the hair or bristles growing about the mouth in some animals
Origin of mustacheFrench moustache from Italian mostacchio, mustache from Medieval Greek mustaki from Classical Greek mystax, upper lip, mustache from mastax, a mouth, jaws from Indo-European base an unverified form menth- from source mouth
- The hair growing on the human upper lip, especially when cultivated and groomed.
- Something similar to the cultivated, groomed hair on the human upper lip, as:a. A group of bristles or hairs about the mouth of an animal.b. Distinctive coloring or feathers near the beak of a bird.c. Food or drink sticking conspicuously to the upper lip: wiped the milk mustache from my face.
Origin of mustacheFrench moustache from Italian dialectal mustaccio from Medieval Greek moustakion from Greek mustax mustache, upper lip
- A growth of facial hair between the nose and the upper lip.