The definition of a mustache is hair on the upper lip.
When a man does not shave his upper lip, the hair growth on his lip is an example of a mustache.
- the hair that a man has let grow out on his upper lip: sometimes used in the plural in reference to the two halves of this growth, esp. when long
- hair growing on the upper lip: at fourteen he's already getting a mustache
- the hair or bristles growing about the mouth in some animals
Origin of mustacheFrench moustache ; from Italian mostacchio, mustache ; from Medieval Greek mustaki ; from Classical Greek mystax, upper lip, mustache ; from mastax, a mouth, jaws ; from Indo-European base an unverified form menth- from source mouth
- The hair growing on the human upper lip, especially when cultivated and groomed.
- Something similar to the cultivated, groomed hair on the human upper lip, as:a. A group of bristles or hairs about the mouth of an animal.b. Distinctive coloring or feathers near the beak of a bird.c. Food or drink sticking conspicuously to the upper lip: wiped the milk mustache from my face.
Origin of mustacheFrench moustache, from Italian dialectal mustaccio, from Medieval Greek moustakion, from Greek mustax, mustache, upper lip.
- A growth of facial hair between the nose and the upper lip.