- The definition of a mustache is hair on the upper lip.
When a man does not shave his upper lip, the hair growth on his lip is an example of a mustache.
- the hair that a man has let grow out on his upper lip: sometimes used in the plural in reference to the two halves of this growth
- hair growing on the upper lip: at fourteen he's already getting a mustache
- the hair or bristles growing about the mouth in some animals
Origin: Fr moustache from Italian mostacchio, mustache from Medieval Greek mustaki from Glassical Greek mystax, upper lip, mustache from mastax, a mouth, jaws from Indo-European base an unverified form menth- from source mouth
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The hair growing on the human upper lip, especially when cultivated and groomed.
- Something similar to the cultivated, groomed hair on the human upper lip, as:a. A group of bristles or hairs about the mouth of an animal.b. Distinctive coloring or feathers near the beak of a bird.c. Food or drink sticking conspicuously to the upper lip: wiped the milk mustache from my face.
Origin: French moustache, from Italian dialectal mustaccio, from Medieval Greek moustakion, from Greek mustax, mustache, upper lip.
- musˈtached adjective